In Time You'll Know

Dear friend,

Let me tell you what is happening as I write. The night has stood by morning for the first time in many eons. There are no words shared between the two. They are still. The sky, who wouldn’t be dark or completely light, stands too, watching morning and night. Someone may call him the lone sufferer. If sky did suffer, it was also his first time in many eons to suffer.

In time you’ll know that this is not dawn. Dawn is: to become day. When the night doesn’t give way for morning, there is no day a-coming. One may call it a prolonged dawn, but in time I’ll tell you that it is not that either.

When they first came together, many, many millennia ago, dear friend, we saw night preceding morning, but morning was the first time of the day, and night the last. So they both were first and last, and with that they were content. This they therefore continued for many a millennia. Life evolved on the planet. Life then evolved eyes, and for the first time in all the empty space life saw them two, but never together.

Man evolved somewhere in the earlier millennia, learnt of the night and morning, and day and evening, and distinguished them by dawn and dusk that now helps us recognize the time of night and the time of day. I tell this to you, my friend, because today, or tonight, is the first time in many eons that night stood by morning. They-just-won’t-budge, remarked one frustrated trucker as I brought up the topic by the trailer. He can’t legally drive in the day, you know, nor illegally stop driving until night ended in this part of the planet.

In time you’ll know, I promise, that this hour, which stands still, so therefore is not the hour, or many hours, but in time when it all ends – if it all ends – I will tell you what the night and morning, or time, make you, my friend. Surely they haven’t heard that their routine of many millennia has taught us the circadian rhythm. Surely, they haven’t seen that at this hour nocturnals must sleep, diurnals must wake. Surely, and last but not the least, they don’t feel the sea-breeze and the land-breeze as they dance around the sea and land as is their wont. And now we’re all frozen in limbo.

And as I write to you, will I be able to continue, for the night is late and the morning too long, where I can’t rest nor rise. Will I be able to finish as the night ended the yesterday. Will I be able to start at the morning of the next? Will I be able to send you this letter that I didn’t exactly begin, that I couldn’t actually finish?

Of course, we all know that night and morning are standing side by side. I told you that where I thought I began. I told you that we are in a limbo: floating frozen, lost in time. And now I shall tell you, dear friend, for I believe that time won’t ever come, and for it is the most ethereal of all the moments: that I’m glad it is so, for it makes you immortal. Whether I finished or not, in time you’ll know.

Comments